Liveblog: John Kasich speaks at Republican Convention

kasich convention
Delegates and guests file into a room at the Hyatt Regency in Burlingame. The California Republican Convention kicked off this weekend’s event with a speech by presidential candidate Donald Trump earlier in the day. John Kasich, also a candidate, speaks tonight at a dinner banquet. Photo: Adrienne Kwok

Republican presidential candidate and Ohio governor John Kasich will be speaking at the Hyatt Regency tonight in Burlingame, Calif. during dinner banquet.

Check back at 7:30 p.m. to receive live updates on his speech.

8:55 p.m. — Kasich finishes delivering his speech, wrapping up tonight’s Republican dinner banquet.

8:55 — “We can provide hope. We can win.”

8:53 p.m. — Kasich says we need to recapture our former confidence and spirit to drive our nation forward.

8:46 p.m. — “I’m worried about a divided, polarized country, but it does not have to be that way.”

8:44 p.m. — “I’ve been endorsed by over 70 newspapers. As if it mattered.” Seems like he doesn’t have much self-confidence in winning this election.

8:42 p.m. — Kasich shifts the discussion to mental health, stating that proper medical treatment and improvement is needed to combat this problem.

8:36 p.m. — “Here’s what I tell young people: you can have all the free you want but at the end of the day with the nation $30 trillion in debt, you might go to a free college but you won’t be able to get a job,” says Kasich, in reference to positions taken by Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

8:33 p.m. — “I have been a Republican all my life,” Kasich said. What happened to growing up in a Democratic family?

8:29 p.m. — Kasich’s grandparents arrived from Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia, and barely spoke English, he says.

8:25 p.m. — Kasich introduces himself. Having grown up in a blue-collar, Democratic family, he had never met a Republican in his youth.

8:22 p.m. — Seated to our left is Peter Ohtaki, former Menlo Park mayor and a current delegate.

8:20 p.m. — “He is prepared to be Commander In Chief on day one and he has the track record to prove it.”

8:16 p.m. — As the dinner comes to an end, Kasich is introduced as “the only adult in the room.”

8:14 p.m. — Currently we are sitting in the audience as people finish up their meals. Speakers should (hopefully) begin speeches shortly.

8:04 p.m. — Currently sitting next to Ron Unz, who is running for Senate in the upcoming election. His campaign posters say “Keep English Vote Ron Unz!”

kasich food
The banquet food consisted of a three course meal: a spinach salad with ginger and apple; a main course of broccoli, steak and potatoes; and a raspberry dessert. Photo: Adrienne Kwok.

7:45 p.m. — The wifi password here is “hillarycantbetrusted.”

7:41 p.m. — Group prayer finished, speaker moves on to the
Pledge of Allegiance.

7:39 p.m. — Republican leaders, including Chad
Mayes and Jean Fuller enter.

7:35 p.m. — Dinner consists of a salad, warm bread rolls and a colorful yet mysterious dessert. This is a very elegant meal.

Nika Woodfill, Author
Adrienne Kwok, Author