Teens group to host free mini-golf event

The Teen Library Advisory Board works on creating 3D paper snowflakes for a large display at the Mitchell Park Library. Photo by Gina Martinez.

The Palo Alto Teen Library Advisory Board will be running a Leap Year Mini-Golf event for teens from 7 to 10 p.m. on Saturday, Feb 27, at the Rinconada Library. 

According to TLAB adviser Gina Martinez, the goal of the mini-golf event is to allow teens to socialize and utilize the library in an innovative way.

“TLAB will turn the entire Rinconada Library into a mini-golf course using household items and books as ramps, aisles, and bumpers,” Martinez said. “The library can be so many things to so many people-why not a mini-golf course too?”

The event’s official name is Leap Year Mini-Golf  to celebrate the bonus day in February with something fun and unusual for teens, according to Martinez.

In addition to mini-golf, participants can expect other activities, Martinez explains.

“Teens can have fun with their friends, make new friends, listen to great music presented by a DJ, and work on perfecting their mini-golf game,” Martinez said. “We will be providing finger foods so that snacking can occur without interfering with your golf game.”

TLAB is made up of local high schoolers and focuses on creating events for the Palo Alto libraries. 

“Sixteen teens from Palo Alto and Gunn High School, Castilleja, and JLS currently serve on this board,” Martinez said. “Our board plans, designs, and volunteers their time to make library teen events at our newest branch Mitchell Park Library and Rinconada Library from start to finish.”

According to Martinez, it’s important that teens are part of the planning process for library programs.

“TLAB is completely teen-centered,” Martinez said. “The teens get to have a voice with what kinds of programs, book materials, study spaces, or displays they would like to see here at our library for teens. I act as their mentor to give them guidance, but TLAB provides the creative ideas, supports their peers, and turns their ideas into action.”

If you’re interested in attending the Leap Year Mini-Golf event, you can register on the official event page.