Prom 2016 details revealed

ASB members Cezzane Lane (left) and Natalie Maloney (right) display a banner stating 'Design Galleria'. The prom location announcement was made during the Winter Rally earlier today.
Associated Student Body members junior Spirit Commissioner Cezanne Lane (left) and junior Vice President Natalie Maloney (right) display a banner sharing the Prom location ‘Design Galleria’ for 2016 at the Winter Rally yesterday. The announcement was made at the end of the student vs. staff soccer game which ended with a 3-2 victory for the staff. Photo by Mary McNamara.

Palo Alto High School’s Prom 2016 will be at The San Francisco Galleria Design Center, according to an Associated Student Body announcement at the Winter Rally yesterday.

“The Galleria is four stories and gives a comfortable amount of room for everyone,” Senior Class President Eli Friedlander said.

The Galleria is a popular venue location in the design district of San Francisco, according to Friedlander. With three balconies, a spacious layout, a hardwood dance floor and a retractable skylight, Junior Class President Noa Ben-Afraim says she believes, “It is going to be fantastic.”

According to Ben-Efraim, the theme for this year is “Fly Me to the Moon.”

“You can expect classy lighting and decor,” Ben-Efraim said.

Friedlander highlights the flexibility benefits of the new venue as opposed to last year’s venue.

“The venue this year is very different from last years venue in terms of restrictions,” Friedlander said. “Since it was San Francisco City Hall, we had our own security protocols added on to that of the state and city marshals. This year we have a lot of leniency and have more opportunity for what we want to do and organize.”

Senior Karina Chan looks forward to having Prom at the Design Center.

“I think it’s going to be an amazing venue because the retractable skylight sounds like something that is going to be very cute and romantic,” Chan said.

According to Friedlander, Prom will be held on April 16 and DJ Hightop will provide the music again this year. The majority of the plans will be finalized by the end of February, according to Ben-Efraim, and further details will be released in the upcoming weeks regarding theme, ticket sales and an upcoming asking competition.

“We’re going to try to make this the best prom yet,” Ben-Efraim said.