Key Club to host Fun Run

12244105_970779246313455_1034644347_n
Junior and Key Club President, Albert Hwang works to plan out volunteer shifts for the Fun Run. The run will raise for money for the Pediatric Trauma Program. Photo by Sam Lee.

From 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Palo Alto High School’s Key Club will host its first-ever Fun Run at the Mitchell Park Library to fundraise for the Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Program. 

The Paly Key Club’s goal is community service, according to junior and Key Club President Albert Hwang. 

“Our goal is to help out the general community with projects that need volunteers,” Hwang said.

Key Club is working with other local organizations to host the event.

“We’re helping the Kiwanis group,” senior and vice president, Minyoung Kim said. “Kiwanis is the adult Key Club and together, we’re working to stand against pediatric trauma. All proceeds will be donated to PTP.”

Other partner organizations for the event include the Gunn High School Key Club, Chipotle, Safeway, Starbucks and Spot Pizza, according to the event webpage.

The Pediatric Trauma Program works to help traumatized children. 

The mission of the Pediatric Trauma Program is to develop local projects which will reduce the number of children in our three-state district who are killed or injured by traumatic life events,” Kim said. “We want all children live happy, healthy and safe lives.”

Pediatric trauma remains the leading cause of death and injury among children ages 14 and under in the United States, according to Hwang. 

Key Club aims to draw a large crowd through fun community-wide activities like the run.

“We named the event a Fun Run because we think students will have fun running for a cause,” Kim said. “It’s our first year doing this and we hope it’ll be a success.”

The fee for the Fun Run is $10, which includes covers pizza, hot dogs, salad and fruits. Coffee and lemonade will also be provided, according to the Fun Run event page.

Attendents will also be entered into a raffle.

“For every six laps, or $3, you get a raffle ticket,” Kim said. “You’ll have a chance to win a Powerbeats 2 headphones of a Chipotle gift card.”

If you are interested in learning more about pediatric trauma or about how you can help, click here for more information.