Girls’ tennis hopes for a break against Los Altos

senior [[[
Senior co-captain Halle Biorn works to improve her serves during practice. According to Biorn, the girls’ have been training hard for their upcoming match against Los Altos, which determines if they qualify for CCS. Photo by Daniel Li.
The Palo Alto High School girls’ tennis team (1-8) will face off against Los Altos High School in a match today at home.

According to head coach Andy Harader, Los Altos is a critical match because it determines whether the team will qualify for Central Coast Sectional Championships.

“We are also competing for fifth place in the very competitive De Anza league, the top league in Northern and Central California,” Harader said. “It is a catch 22 situation. We lose a lot, but get to play the best teams.”

Senior co-captain Halle Biorn says that the Vikings have a good chance of defeating Los Altos.

“Last time we played Los Altos High School, we lost 3-4,” Biorn said. “It was a really close and intense match. The loss was devastating because we’re just as good as Los Altos and we were so close to winning.”

The team has been training hard to prepare for the match, according to senior co-captain Kelsey Wang.

“We have been working on shots that we know Los Altos aren’t good at returning,” Biorn said.

The match will begin at 3:30 p.m. today at Paly.