Recap: Day One of Spirit Week kicks off

The first day of Palo Alto High School’s Spirit Week kicked off at the lunch rally today with three activities, but as people were leaving, a streaker ran across the football field.

Today was Theme Day, where each grade dresses up according to their chosen themes. Though the senior class theme is “Out of This World,” seniors traditionally dressed up as 90’s kids. The junior theme is “Ancient Egypt,” the sophomores are “Lifeguards,” and the freshman are “The Lorax”.

The Associated Student Body is happy with the results today, junior ASB Vice President Anmol Nagar said.

“Day One of Spirit Week was so unbelievably amazing,” Nagar said. “All the cheers were super-synchronized and clever. Even the freshmen pulled through with the ‘We’ve got spirit’ cheer, and I think it set the tone for an extremely exciting week.”

Each grade dressed up as their respective themes, and standouts were selected to compete in the best dressed competition.

The juniors took first, sophomores second, seniors third and freshmen fourth, according to ASB Spirit Commissioner Reid Walters. 

The activities today included three “Minute to Win it” games: “Shake It,” “Banana Bump” and “Balloon Popping Game.”

“Shake it” is an activity including one student from each grade moving as fast as possible in a minute to rack up the most steps on a pedometer. Results for “Shake it” will be posted later on the ASB website.

In “Banana Bump,” one student from each grade is required to push an orange a set distance, only hitting it with a banana which is attached to the waist by a string. First place went to sophomores, second to the juniors, third to the freshmen and fourth to the seniors.

In the new “Balloon Popping Game,” four students from each class worked to pop all of their grade’s balloons and were not allowed to use their hands.

After the activities had concluded, an unidentified student streaked across the football field. 

Despite the streaker and being new to Spirit Week, overall, freshmen enjoyed their first day.

“It went really well,” freshman Cecilia Timberg said. “You could tell who was in each grade, and I had a lot of fun at the rally.”

Today’s final scores will be posted on the ASB website and The Paly Voice after float building tonight. Keep checking The Paly Voice for more Spirit Week information.