Student-run summer camp opportunities

Ido Gal and Will Zhou

As summer approaches, parents may be searching for summer programs that their children can attend. Luckily, students at Palo Alto High School will be hosting a wide variety of camps for different age groups.

Entrepreneurship 101 Camp – June 8- June 12

“The purpose of the Entrepreneurship 101 Camp for middle school students is to familiarize the next generation with the spirit of entrepreneurship through exploration of qualities entrepreneurs possess and hands-on experimentation with the entrepreneurial process,” junior and club president Allison Zhang said. “The camp will include lessons and workshops that walk students through each step of the entrepreneurial process and feature speakers and a field trip to a local innovation-related place of interest.” Click here to learn more or register for Entrepreneurship 101 Camp.

campers
A group of campers presenting their business plan of a new company called “Spice Away.” Photo by Allison Zhang

Math Camp – June 15-19; June 22-26 

“The purpose of the camp is to prepare middle school students for Mathcounts, a middle school math competition, and the AMC exams, mostly the 8 and 10 levels,” junior and math club co-club president Lilia Tang said. “We will provide a short lecture which either introduces a topic not generally touched on in school curriculums, or expands on topics students already know to gain a deeper understanding of the topic. After the lecture we hand out problem sets which contain problems of varying difficulty, some that relate to the lecture topic and some that don’t.” Click here to learn more or register for Math Camp.

Speech and Debate Camp-June 15-19; June 22-26

“For 11 years, we have opened the Bay Area’s eyes to the importance of public speaking and debating skills that they generally don’t learn in school but are crucial in the academic world such as research, crafting coherent arguments and being able to present them in an understandable way, etc,” junior and speech and debate club co-president, Helen Yan said. “Students can expect to have a lot of fun with a new group of friends while learning essential skills in writing, critical thinking, and public speaking that are applicable all throughout life and will change the way you think.”

Click here to learn more or register for Speech and Debate Camp.

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 1.36.39 PM
Students work on their cases for their mock debate at the end of the week. Photo by Helen Yan.

Camp MAC- August 3-7

“Camp MAC’s mission is to introduce rising eighth and ninth graders to the world of 21st century journalism,” junior and co-operations manager Bethany Wong said.  “We hope to give students a sampling of skills involved in journalism, including those needed for news writing, food reviews, basic broadcasting and photography. We want students to gain a greater appreciation of the digital and print storytelling.”

Click here to learn more about MAC Camp.

Paly Robotics Summer Camp- August 3-7 

We want to engage middle students in robotics and STEM related fields,” freshman team member and summer camp lead Simran Pujji said. “We also want students to learn about the different aspects of our team, such as programming, animation, and actually building the robot.  Technology and engineering are emerging fields and the newest generation should be prepared.  They can do this by exposing themselves to the various technological fields.”

Click here to learn more about Paly Robotics Summer Camp.