Preview: Softball to host Mountain View on Senior Night

The Palo Alto High School softball team (14-11, 4-6) will take on Mountain View High School (18-7, 10-1) at 4 p.m. this afternoon at the Paly softball field for the Viking’s last league game at home this season.

This is the second time the Vikings and the Spartans will go head-to-head. Last time they played, the Vikings fell to Mountain View, 3-4. Since then, Paly has been working hard to improve their technical skills, as well as their team chemistry, in order for it to be a memorable senior night, according to senior captain Julianna Heron.

“We have been working a lot on our hitting and also becoming united as a team to do well in this game,” Heron said.

The team has been impacted by the loss of two of their pitchers late in the season, according to junior outfielder Maddy Atwater.

“Since we lost our two pitchers, things have been pretty rough,” Atwater said. “Going into this game, we are just looking to play hard and finish the game with our heads up.”

The emotions of Senior Night will also be a factor in the team’s success this afternoon, according to Heron.

“As a senior, I’m excited for the game,” Heron said. “It’s bittersweet as the season is coming to an end so soon, and I’ll be done with Paly softball.”

Atwater emphasized the importance of honoring the seniors and their coach as well.

“We want to go out there and play for the seniors,” Atwater said, “but also play for our coach Bill [Laskey] because of how supportive he’s been since they [the two pitchers] quit.”