Boys’ wrestling sends five to CCS

Palo Alto High School senior Calvin Grewal pins his opponent at the meet against Gunn High School, which the Vikings won, 48-28. Grewal will be competing at the Central Coast Section Championships Friday, and looks forward to his matches. "We have trained hard all season, and feel like we can definitely achieve our goals," Grewal said.
Palo Alto High School senior Calvin Grewal pins his opponent at the meet against Gunn High School, which the Vikings won, 48-28. Grewal will be competing at the Central Coast Section Championships Friday, and looks forward to his matches. “We have trained hard all season, and feel like we can definitely achieve our goals,” Grewal said.

Palo Alto High School’s boys’ wrestling team (3-3-0) will finish up its strong season by sending five wrestlers to the Central Coast Section Championships Friday at Independence High School.

After placing fifth overall at the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League Championships last week, seniors Calvin Grewal and Elliot Clark, juniors Andrew Wang and Tyler Weaver-Escobar and sophomore Dara Heydarpour will compete at the CCS Championships.

Wang, the only wrestler returning to CCS, is seeded second in his weight class, and said he looks forward to competing again this year.

“Last year at CCS, I felt that I was very close to making it to state [championships],” Wang said. “I have that same feeling again, except I am filled with more knowledge and experience.”

In Wang’s weight class, Gilroy High School sophomore Chase Saldate and Evergreen High School senior Jonathan Rodriguez are seeded first and third, respectively.

Senior Calvin Grewal is seeded fifth in his weight class, and along with Wang, the team’s best chances of making the trip to Bakersfield for the state tournament, according to coach Jonathan Kessler.

Girls’ wrestling competed at CCS in early February, with senior Aishaah Maas placing fourth and juniors Masa Perez and Ashley Wang placing fifth and sixth, respectively. Sophomores Zoë Wong-VanHaren and Al Lee went 2-2, while freshman Marina Buendia went 0-2, as she wrestled two weight classes up due to a requirement of only sending one wrestler per weight class.

CCS Championships kick off 9 a.m. Friday at Independence High School.

Angelina Wang, Author