Teens Exploring Code to take place in Mitchell Park Community Center

If you want to learn to code, or have an idea you want to build into a real project, check out Teens Exploring Code. TEC is a 15-hour hackathon that will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Mitchell Park Community Center.

During the hackathon, participants will get hands-on experience with coding by attending workshops, building a project, and presenting their finished project, according to TEC Head Organizer and Paly senior Emily Yu.

“A hackathon is an event where designers, programmers, entrepreneurs, and anyone excited to learn comes together to build a product in a short amount of time,” Yu said. “We’ll provide free food, t-shirts, swag, and whatever else you might need to make yourself comfortable.”

According to Yu, TEC is a welcoming environment for everyone. Beginners can learn to code, and first-time hackathon attendees can gain more experience, providing all attendees the chance to explore coding regardless of their background, experience, or skill level.

“All students should have the opportunity to explore computer science, regardless of their demographic characteristics or surrounding influences,” Yu said. “We can fill this niche by providing an intimidation-free environment for beginners and catering our workshops specifically towards a large range of skill levels.”

The hackathon will also feature various workshops throughout the day, ranging from Git Workflow and Team Collaboration to Java Programming Basics in the morning to an Entrepreneurship and AI workshop in the evening, according to their website.

At the conclusion of the event, students will present the projects they created through the course of the day.

Register for TEC here.

Get updates at the event Facebook Page.

For more info on the event, visit the event website at http://teensexploringcode.org/.

Esther Cao, Author