Recap: Seniors win relay, widen lead

Color Day, the third day of Spirit Week at Palo Alto High School, saw students dressed in orange, red, yellow, and green fill the stands and the seniors win the relay race.

The main event of the day was the relay. In the first of two qualifying rounds, the seniors defeated the freshmen. In the second, the juniors defeated the sophomores. The seniors won the championship round, earning them 1500 points for their class, against the juniors, who took second and gained 1200 points.

At the end of the day, the seniors came away with a total of 7,800 points, widening the gap from a 500-point lead on the juniors on Tuesday to an 800-point lead. The juniors had a score of 7,000 points, the sophomores, in third, had a score of 5,200 points, and the freshmen, in fourth, had a score of 4,300 points.

The relay involved a group of 34 students from each grade had to make it though seven different stations: Wheel Barrow, Ball Hop, Orange Pass, Ball Pass, Egg Walk, Skin the Snake, and the Tarp Carry, respectively. The fastest team to finish the relay won the round.

The energy in the air was palpable as students in the bleachers clapped and cheered for their classmates on the field.

The main event of the day was the relay. In the first of two qualifying rounds, the seniors defeated the freshmen. In the second, the juniors beat the sophomores. The seniors won the championship round, earning them 1500 points for their class, against the juniors, who took second and gained 1200 points.

In the match for third place, the sophomores triumphed over the freshmen.

According to sophomore Leo Marburg, one of the participants in the relay, the sophomore team gave good effort.

“We could have beat the juniors, but besides that, I think we did pretty well,” sophomore Leo Marburg said. “We beat the freshmen, so that’s a good thing, at least.” 

The seniors were ecstatic about their win.

“Senior class just destroys everyone else,” senior Jeremy Dou said. “We’re the best. And this is our last spirit week of our high school career, so we want to make this as valuable as we can.” 

According to freshman Thomas Florant, Spirit Week does have an emphasis on juniors and seniors.

“I feel like it’s more for upperclassmen, a little bit,” Florant said. 

According to Associated Student Body Junior Site Council representative Riya Kumar, ASB has been working hard to make sure that Spirit Week 2017 is enjoyed by all.

“ASB all worked really hard for this week, and I think we’re just doing our best and trying to do the best for the whole school to ensure that they all enjoy Spirit Week,” Kumar said.

Check back as The Paly Voice covers day 4 of Spirit Week, which is Generations Day.

Benjamin Huang, Arts and Entertainment Editor