ASB plans first Peery Center Homecoming Dance

Homecoming will be held on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 7-10 p.m. in the Peery Center small gym.
Homecoming will be held from 7-10 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 28 in the Peery Center small gym.

The Palo Alto High School Associated Student Body is rolling out the red carpet for “Palywood”, the Hollywood-themed Homecoming dance which will take place from 7-10 p.m. on Oct. 28 in the newly-constructed Peery Family Center.

According to Junior Class President Caroline Furrier, ASB is excited to hold the dance in the Peery Center for the first time.

“The new gym space is really nice … and is going to work really well with the Hollywood red carpet theme,” Furrier said.

Holding the homecoming dance in the Peery Center will allow ASB to devote funds ordinarily reserved for renting a venue to other aspects of the dance such as a red carpet and red velvet cupcakes, according to ASB Social Commissioner Shannon Zhao.

“This year our budget is $4,000,” said Zhao. “Since we have the gym this year, we can afford to spend more money on decorations and aesthetics of the venue.”

In addition, tickets will be cheaper this year, costing only $5 for students with an ASB card and $10 for those without one, as opposed to last year’s $10 with a card and $15 without.

According to Student Activities Director Matt Hall, tickets can be purchased online at the Paly Web Store, on the Quad, at the Homecoming football game and in the ASB Bookkeeper’s office located in the Tower building.

“We will also be selling regular tickets at the door, but the tickets at the door will only be $10 and no ASB discount will be applied,” Hall said.

Guest tickets will be available for purchase at the ASB Bookkeeper’s office after filling out a guest pass.

Students interested in asking others to go to the dance with them are encouraged to enter the Homecoming Asking Competition. According to a Facebook post from Zhao, the winners of the competition will receive free tickets to the dance as well as a $35 gift card to a store of their choice. Submissions can be sent to Hall or posted in the Homecoming Asking Competition event on Facebook by Oct. 24th.

In accordance with the “Palywood” theme, the dress code for the dance will be semi-formal, according to a Schoology post from Hall. To help students struggling to find the perfect outfit, The Paly Voice put together a guide for what to wear to the dance.

Nisha McNealis, Managing Editor
Nisha is a senior at Palo Alto High School and Managing Editor of The Paly Voice. She also debates for the Paly Speech and Debate team and plays tennis, and she's the co-president of the Girls in STEM Club at Paly. Outside of school and extracurriculars, she loves spending time with friends and watching The Office.