Preview: Girls’ tennis to kick off season against Gunn

Sophomore Anuva Banwasi serves the ball in a doubles match with graduated senior and captain Meredith Cummings. The undefeated Vikings went on to win the game 4-3 on senior night. Photo: Ethan Kao.

The Palo Alto High School girls’ tennis team (1-0, 0-0) will kick off its league season on Thursday with its first home match in the Central Coast Section league against rival Gunn High School (0-1, 0-0).

In their non-league opener on Tuesday, the Vikings defeated Aragon High School, 7-0.

“All of the singles [players] won their first sets, 6-0, and won their matches in two sets,” senior captain Mailinh Truong said. “[Freshman] Maddi [Page] won both of her sets, 6-0, in like 30 minutes, which was amazing.”

According to Truong, one key to the team’s potential success this season is the addition of the four new freshmen, including Page.

“Maddi Page is our number one [singles player],” Truong said. “She just transferred from Gunn because of the overflow, so she was originally going to play for them, but luckily we got her because she’s really good.”

The team graduated six seniors last year, including top singles player, Avanika Narayan. The team now consists of three seniors, four juniors, four sophomores, and four freshmen.

“A goal I have for the team is to stay dedicated,” senior captain Emma Cockerell said.  “It’s kind of easy for effort to peter off as the season goes on.”

Freshman Annika Shah aims to improve her skills as well as the team dynamic this season.

“My goal is to be a better tennis player and for our team to win a lot and to have a lot of fun,” Shah said.

This season, the team hopes to increase team unity through bonding sessions, according to Truong.

“We’re working on bonding with the new incoming freshmen and making them more incorporated into the team culture,” Truong said.

The Vikings will face off against their Titan rivals in the first home match of the season at 4 p.m. Thursday at Paly.

Annika Behal, Author