Paly track sweeps Los Gatos

blah
Freshman Miranda Jimenez (center) and junior Julia Doubson (right) keep up with a Los Gatos competitor in the 1600-meter run. Doubson and Jimenez placed second and third in the race, respectively. Photo courtesy of Malcolm Slaney.

The Palo Alto High School track and field team handily swept the Los Gatos High School Wildcats on Thursday at the Los Gatos track in its penultimate dual meet of the season.

Senior Kent Slaney maintained his winning streak, placing first in the 800-meter, 1600-meter and 3200-meter runs. He also split a 52-second lap in the 4×400-meter relay race, in which the Vikings ran uncontested.

Kent Slaney continued burning up the track,” assistant coach Michael Granville said.

Junior Julia Doubson ran a personal best of 5:21:89 in the 1600-meter run and won the 3200-meter race in 11:50.68, over a minute before the next competitor finished.

Junior Adee Newman said the team’s work in practice, particularly speed training, has been producing good results in meets.

“I think the team as a whole is improving well,” Newman said. “We are working on getting faster through speed work which should show well in the postseason.”

Newman sees a bright future for the Paly team at CCS and beyond.

“I see relays going far and doing well in CCS,” she said. “I also see many individuals going far and getting personal bests later in the season.”

Granville said today’s results bode well for the team’s postseason success.

“It was a race [where] legends were made!” he said.

Next, the Vikings will take on cross-town rival Gunn on April 26 at Paly. This will be their last dual meet of the season.

Jevan Yu, Editor-in-Chief