Track trounces Milpitas, maintains sharp record

Junior Sam Craig leads the varsity boys' 1600-meter run at the Tuesday afternoon meet versus Milpitas. The boys' varsity team dominated Milpitas, while the other divisions saw closer matchups. "I thought the team did very well overall," junior sprinter Daniel Nemeth said. "The underclassmen have really stepped up." Photo: Jevan Yu.
Junior Sam Craig leads the varsity boys’ 1600-meter run at the Tuesday afternoon meet versus Milpitas. The boys’ varsity team dominated Milpitas, while the other divisions saw closer matchups. “I thought the team did very well overall,” junior sprinter Daniel Nemeth said. “The underclassmen have really stepped up.” Photo: Jevan Yu.

In a mostly lopsided matchup, three of the four Palo Alto High School track and field teams snagged wins versus Milpitas on Tuesday afternoon.

The boys’ and girls’ varsity teams won handily, while the girls’ frosh-soph team eked it out and the boys’ frosh-soph team lost by a single point.

Junior Julia Doubson achieved a personal record in the 1600-meter race, which she won with a time of 5:25.71. Both the varsity and frosh-soph boys took first, second and third in the 1600-meter race. Other exceptional performances came from senior Titi Bolarinwa, who won the varsity girls’ 400-meter run in 1:00.33, and senior Thorin Haussecker, who won the varsity boys’ 100- and 200-meter races.

Assistant coach Michael Granville said he felt that the meet showcased the time and effort that Paly athletes have invested during practices.

“This week was a true testament of their daily dedication to the sport,” Granville said.

He attributed the the team’s success to the athletes’ high level of fitness.

“These athletes are in shape,” he said. “Now, with this new level of fitness, we are able to be a little more creative with race strategy.”

Junior sprinter Daniel Nemeth was pleased with the noteworthy improvements, especially among underclassmen.

“I thought the team did very well overall,” Nemeth said. “The underclassmen have really stepped up.”

Paly’s next competition will be the Stanford Invitational on March 31 and April 1.

Jevan Yu, Editor-in-Chief