Preview: “The Stinky Cheese Man” premieres at Paly

Junior Daniel Cottrell as the Stinky Cheese Man in "The Stinky Cheese Man" The show opens today for elementary schoolers and Saturday and Sunday for a general audience. Photo courtesy of Paly Theatre.
Junior Daniel Cottrell as the Stinky Cheese Man in “The Stinky Cheese Man.” The show opens today for elementary schoolers and Saturday and Sunday for a general audience. Photo courtesy of Paly Theatre.

The Palo Alto High School Theatre Department’s production of “The Stinky Cheese Man,” the department’s first show of the year, opens today for elementary school students and on Saturday and Sunday for a general audience.

The show marks the second year in a row that Paly Theatre is opening a production for younger students in addition to the normal main stage fall show.

“The Stinky Cheese Man” is a play based on the famous children’s book by Jon Scieszka and involves numerous spoofs on common fairy tales.

“It’s antic, free-wheeling and wild,” director Tony Kienitz said. “That’s what makes it unique. You’re taking famous fairy tales and turning them on their ear in a way that is original and irreverent.”

Actors have enjoyed the relative freedom involved in the process of making the show.

“Tony gives us the freedom to try different physicality and voices,” junior Daniel Cottrell, who plays the Stinky Cheese Man, said. “He encourages all the actors to enhance the whole ridiculousness of the show.”

Senior Jamie Garcia also enjoys the looseness of the production.

“It’s special,” Garcia said. “It gives everyone an opportunity to be super goofy and have a great time while still getting to put on a production.”

Garcia encourages Paly students to attend the “The Stinky Cheese Man” this weekend.

“It’s a really funny show, even thought the humor can be immature at times,” Garcia said. “But high schoolers will think it’s really funny, and they would get to see their friends dress up in ridiculous costumes, which is a good time.”

The dates for general audience are 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 4 and 2 p.m. on Oct. 5 at the Haymarket Theatre. Tickets are $5.