Drama program nominated for honors

Palo Alto High School’s thespian program eagerly awaits the results of The Stage’s Fourth Annual Top Honor Awards after receiving seven nominations.

The Stage Top Honor Awards is a local program dedicated to recognizing Bay Area high schools for excellence in all aspects of theater. Paly has the potential to receive awards for Student Achievement in Technical Theater, Best Featured Actress, Best Featured Actor, Best Student Orchestra, Best Directing and Best Scenic Design for its spring production of “Into the Woods.”

Junior lighting designer Henry Wilen was nominated for Student Achievement in Technical Theatre.

“I’m super excited to be recognized for my work on ‘Into The Woods,'” Wilen said. “It was a great show, and I think that everyone who was nominated deserves it completely. I know we’re all looking forward to the awards ceremony at the beginning of June.”

Freshman Lana Graves, who was nominated for Best Featured Actress for her portrayal of Repunzel, was surprised and honored for the recognition.

“It was a great opportunity to be a part of the Paly theater and the Awards program,” Graves said. “I thought they would only be nominating for best lead actors, so it was a nice surprise. I was very excited for Paly to have so many nominations from acting to lighting to orchestra. There are a lot of people who were very invested in the show, so I’m glad that was acknowledged. I was honored to be nominated among so many talented people, and I only wish there could have been more recognition for the people who worked so hard to bring the show to life.”

Paly students also enjoyed recognition in the Best Featured Actor category. Juniors Marcus Edholm and Aaron Slipper received nominations for their depiction of Repunzel’s and Cinderella’s Princes respectively.

“‘Into The Woods’ was a wonderful, excellent production, and I was thrilled that we got recognition,” Slipper said. “I have never enjoyed myself as much on stage. I got to have the prettiest girl at the ball, had an adulterous affair, stalked around in a fabulous uniform with golden embellishments.”

Drama teacher Kathleen Woods additionally garnered recognition for her direction of “Into the Woods” and Paly theatre received a nomination for Top Honor.

“I am thrilled to be nominated and am equally thrilled about all the other Paly nominees, which includes Mr. Willner and the Student Orchestra,” Woods said. “This is our first year participating in the Top Honors program, so it will be exciting just to be part of the awards ceremony.”

Winners will be announced during Red Carpet Recognition Night on June 3.