Paly's spring play to debut Friday

Palo Alto High School’s adaption of Stephen Sondheim’s ‘Into the Woods’ will debut on Friday, March 1, in the Haymarket Theater as Paly’s Spring Musical.

The Palo Alto High theater department presents 'Into the Woods,' a production that will premiere on Friday, March 1.  Photo by Cathy Rong
The Palo Alto High School theater department presents ‘Into the Woods,’ which will premiere on Friday, March 1. “It [Into the Woods] is very tough but we have the capability both singing and acting wise, but it could be one of the best [shows] we have ever done,” director Kathleen Woods said. Photo by Cathy Rong.
A musical adaption of Brothers’ Grimm fairytales that premiered on Broadway in 1987, “Into the Woods” is vastly different from previous musicals that Paly’s theater department has done in the past. As opposed to “My Fair Lady,” and “The Fiddler on the Roof,” “Into the Woods” takes on a lighter, more humorous tone. Woods, who is Paly’s drama teacher and lead director of the play, chose “Into the Woods” because she believes that the theater program has what it takes to make it a success.

“It [Into the Woods] is very tough but we have the capability both singing and acting wise, but it could be one of the best [shows] we have ever done,” Woods said.

Sophomore Molly Mackris, who plays Cinderella in the production, agrees that a lot of hard work went into the show.

“I have stayed after school until 5:30 every day since second semester started,” Mackris said. “Also, on the last week before the show opens the rehearsals go from school ends until around 10 p.m.”

Despite the endless preparations and long rehearsals, Woods is convinced the “Into the Woods” will be pleasing for everyone.

Advanced ticket sales are available at www.palytheatre.com

Students and seniors: $10, Adults $12, Box office opens an hour before curtain.

March 1, 2, 7, 8, 9 at 7:30 p.m., March 10 at 2 p.m.