Fair aims to bring ‘a Wellness State of Mind’ to students

Kira Sterling and Sophia Krugler

Students will have the opportunity to interact with local agencies, organizations, and clubs that represent both mental and physical health at the wellness awareness fair Tuesday at Palo Alto High School. “The purpose of this is that students can be familiar with their resources and also feel comfortable reaching out,” Wellness Outreach Worker Whitney Aquino said. “We kind of wanted to provide a space where they could get to know those different things and maybe learn something from it.” Illustration: Amy Yu

An array of mental and physical wellness organizations will flood the paved area in front of the Palo Alto High School Performing Arts Center during Tutorial on Tuesday, giving students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with their local health resources.

Paly Wellness Outreach Worker Whitney Aquino, who is planning the event, says she hopes that the fair will help students become aware of health resources and feel comfortable reaching out if they need help.

According to Aquino, a total of 18 agencies will be present including the Palo Alto Medical Foundation, Your House South, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and Second Harvest Silicon Valley. Nine Paly clubs will also be in attendance, including Bring Change 2 Mind Club, Flow Club, Happiness Club, Meditation Club, and One Love Club.

To encourage students to visit as many booths as possible, students will receive a raffle ticket for each booth they attend, and can enter a raffle for prizes such as gift cards and a grand prize of Airpods. Kirk’s Steakburgers, Howie’s Artisan Pizza, Trader Joe’s, and Village Cheese House have all made donations to the raffle, according to Aquino.

“It’ll be a bit more incentive for students that come by,” Aquino said. “The more tables that you visit and interact with … [the] more chances to win prizes.”

Aquino said that although the Wellness Center has held awareness fairs in the past, she hopes this one will attract a larger turnout. In the past, the event was held during lunch. However, this year, students will be able to check in and spend their tutorial at the event.

“We’re trying something new this year, to have it during tutorial, to see if it might bring in more students that way,” Aquino said.