Choir to hold 51st annual Madrigal Feaste

Eric Bo-Han Yap and Sophia Muys

sdfg

Head Costumer for choir and Palo Alto High School senior Alia Jessup explains the new additions to the 51st annual Madrigal Feaste. Donning 16th century attire, choir students will perform pieces exploring English life and society under King Henry XIII. Jessup expressed that Madrigals choir serves to bring Paly’s choir community at Paly together. “Madrigals is special because it is a group of close friends who love to create beautiful music,” Jessup said. Photo: Sophia Muys

As the winter holiday season approaches, the Palo Alto High School choir program will don 16th century garb and host its 51st annual Madrigal Feaste at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday in the Performing Arts Center.

The structure of this year’s Madrigal Feaste will be similar to previous years; featuring the choir singing pieces historically accurate to 16th century England under King Henry XIII, according to choir member and senior Brian Xu, of the Madrigals choir set to perform.

“We will start our performance in the foyer, then there will be a dinner with a main course for the attendees,” Xu explained. “The show will continue after dinner and the half-time with snacks.”

Not only will the show represent historical times, but will also showcase satirical humor referencing current world events, sophomore performer Cris Cerrillos explains.

“There are jokes on politics,” Cerrillos said. ‘Our performance is about a free happy place where we do not have an opinion on [political discussion and events].”

This year’s ticket price for the performance has also been significantly reduced to encourage even higher attendance and accessibility for Paly students and their families, according to sophomore Madrigal performer Omar Hart.

“Tickets are a lot cheaper and only cost $15 this year,” Hart said. “The price has dramatically gone down compared with last year’s ticket price of $35.”

According to senior singer and head costumer Alia Jessup, this year’s Madrigal Feaste is a highly anticipated event and features comedy, art, and singing.

“With the performances of acts such as The Rune of Hospitality, Pastime, Coventry Carol, and more, there is definitely a lot to enjoy,” Jessup added.

The Madrigal Feaste cast is looking forward to seeing students and families enjoy themselves at this year’s performance, according to Jessup.

“People should definitely come and support the art, eat delicious catered food, and see a fabulous play,” Jessup added. “[Madrigals] is a good opportunity for the Palo Alto community to enjoy good music.”