Point B Poetry Jam coming Friday

Palo Alto High School senior and organizer of the Point B poetry jam, Maddie Lee, shares her thoughts about the upcoming event. This will be the first event this year. "The last poetry jam was particularly special because the creators of Point B were graduating," Lee said. "We held the event at one of their houses." Photo: Angelina Wang.
Palo Alto High School senior and organizer of the Point B Poetry Jam, Maddie Lee, shares her thoughts about the upcoming event from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday at the Mitchell Park Library. “The last poetry jam was particularly special because the creators of Point B were graduating,” Lee said. “We held the event at one of their houses.” Photo: Angelina Wang.

The Palo Alto Teen Arts Council will host a Point B Poetry Jam from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday at the Mitchell Park Library.

Attendance is free, and all are welcome to perform a poem. According to the Facebook event page for Point B there are almost no restrictions on poems, except offensive or extremely long poems. Snacks and tea will also be provided.

“This year, we’ve made Point B pajama-themed,” said Palo Alto High School senior Maddie Lee, one of Point B’s organizers. “We want everyone to come feeling warm and comfortable”.

This will be the first poetry jam this year, and it will be headed by Lee and senior Johanna Ehrensvärd.

“The last Point B Poetry Jam in May turned out awesome,” Ehrensvärd said. “We are honored to take over this event created by Teddie Stewart and Claire Eberhart, who graduated [from Paly] last year.”

Lee echoes these thoughts, and adds that the poetry jam is for everyone.

“Point B is a low-stress, no judgment space where people can come share poetry with friends,” Lee said. “We [Johanna and I] are very excited to carry on the traditions of Point B.”