Breaking news: Crystal-Foster concedes school board race

The contest for the remaining seat on the Palo Alto school board came to an end this morning when Catherine Crystal-Foster announced today that she is conceding the race.

All the vote-by-mail ballots have been counted, which secured the first seat to Ken Dauber, according to Santa Clara County registrar of voters. In a competition for the second open seat and with the provisional ballots uncounted, Crystal-Foster trailed 199 votes behind Godfrey at last count, and the “uncounted ballots are unlikely to change the outcome,” Crystal-Foster said in an email to her campaign staff and supporters.

Here is the full text of her email announcement:

“We’ve all been watching the living lesson that every vote truly counts in our democracy. At this point, the county has recorded all remaining vote-by-mail ballots, and there are only a few thousand uncounted provisional ballots remaining county-wide. Ken Dauber has secured one school board seat, and Terry Godfrey is ahead of me by 199 votes for the second seat. The uncounted ballots are unlikely to change the outcome, so I offer my sincere congratulations to Ken and Terry as the new members of our school board. Both Terry and Ken will be staunch advocates for our students, and I wish them both the best. I have great regard for the talent and dedication that all the candidates brought to this race. My best to Gina Dalma and Jay Cabrera, as well, who share a commitment to education and will, I’m confident, continue their good work on behalf of students. I look forward to continuing my service to the schools and our students, and will do so in a spirit of collaboration with all our school leaders.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to have spent these past six months discussing the future of Palo Alto’s schools with so many in our community. I continue to be energized by you, by the opportunities before us, and by the ambition of our new superintendent. To those of you who walked, called, endorsed, created, gave, wrote, informed, and inspired over this campaign — many, many thanks. We created a network of positive thinkers who care about education that will continue long after the final ballots are counted.

“I am privileged to have been surrounded and supported by so many wonderful friends and neighbors in this journey. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.”

An announcement on Crystal-Foster’s Facebook page reads:

“The last vote-by-mail ballots have been counted, and Ken has retained the first school board seat and Terry is ahead of me by 199 votes for the second. While provisional ballots remain uncounted, it is unlikely that those will change the outcome. Thus, I’ve reached out to Ken and Terry to congratulate them as our new school board members. They both care deeply about students and I wish them the very best. To each and every one of you, I offer my deepest thanks for all your hard work, belief in our positive and forward-looking message, and for your friendship and support. I feel privileged to have worked with such a wonderful team and look forward to continuing to work with you in our schools and community for the benefit of all our students.”