Sports Boosters tree sale in full swing

Olivia Ramberg-Gomez, Culture Editor

The Palo Alto High School Sports Boosters is hosting its traditional Christmas tree sale located in the parking lot on the corner of El Camino Real and Embarcadero Road. 

The tree lot opened the weekend following Thanksgiving. According to Sports Booster President Rebecca Passarello, the trees will continue to be on sale for the remainder of this weekend and possibly next weekend.

The traditional Christmas Tree Lot hosted by the Palo Alto High School Sports Boosters is in full swing this weekend. According to Sports Booster President Rebecca Passarello, each Paly sports team can volunteer for a three-hour time slot and earn money for their team. “We get the parents and the athletes to volunteer and their team earns money,” Passarello said. Photo: Gracia Hmelar

The money from the sale of the trees goes towards different Paly sports teams that volunteer to help with the sale. In addition to tree sales, Paly gear will also be available for purchase, according to Passarello. 

“Each team is taking a three-hour shift,” Passarello said. “So we get the parents and the athletes to volunteer and their team earns money.”

The trees are grown at a farm in Oregon and are delivered to Paly in a large semi-truck, according to Passarello. 

“We had one delivery right before Thanksgiving and then we had another delivery just this week,” Passarello said. “These trees [trees currently available for purchase] were just cut on Sunday.”

The trees available for purchase are all different types of Fir trees: Douglas, Grand, Noble, Nordman, and Nordman Layered Firs. The price for a tree ranges from $65 to $170, depending on the size and type. 

The tree lot will be open for the remainder of this weekend (and possibly beyond) from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.

“Hopefully, we will sell out,” Passarello said. “If we don’t sell out we will probably do some sort of sale next weekend. The plan is to sell out.”