Season Preview: Boys’ basketball team has high hopes after early-season win

Hallie Faust, Editor-in-Chief

Following a 52-37 win against the Carlmont High School Scots in its first game Monday, the Palo Alto High School boys’ varsity basketball team is optimistic for a successful season with a new coach.

Then-senior Jackson Chryst looks for an open pass during a match against Gunn High School last season. This year, the Palo Alto High School boys’ basketball team hopes to replicate last season’s success by earning first place in the Division I Central Coast Section Championships. “To get that again would be incredible,” junior starting center Martin Segura said. Photo: Jevan Yu

Head coach Jeff LaMere attributes this win not only to the Vikings’ strong defensive action on the court, but also to the energy from the bench.

“They were incredibly vocal, helping the team out on the court, and they were calling out the other team’s plays,” LaMere said. “It was just a tremendous, collective win.”

In his first year of coaching, LaMere has high expectations for the team.

“We’ve got a great group of guys who’ve worked really, really hard, and we want to get better every practice with everything we do,” LaMere said. 

LaMere also says he aims for the team to focus on gradual improvement rather than immediate results.

“[We want] to take our micro goals and turn those into macro goals, and to be able to follow a process step-by-step and not worry so much about outcomes, but worry about the process along the way,” LaMere said. “If we take care of the process and we take care of the micro-goals, we’ll reach our macro goals.”

Like LaMere, junior and starting center Martin Segura says he is confident going into the season ahead.

“I’m really optimistic and excited for this season,” Segura said. “It’s going to be a grind, but I’m looking forward to what we’ll achieve.”

The Vikings next game is part of the DJ Frandsen Tournament, where they will take on Bellarmine Dec. 13 at Bellarmine.