Career Programs Fair presents two-year and vocational post-grad options

Soumya Jhaveri and Ellie Krugler

The Palo Alto High School semi-annual Career Programs Fair, an event for students interested in two-year or vocational schools, took place at lunch Wednesday on the Quad.

“It is targeted to all students looking for different post-high school plans,” College and Career Center adviser Crystal Laguna said. “Students will have the opportunity to speak to representatives and learn more about career or vocational fields.”

Booths line the Quad near Haymarket Theater, where representatives from community colleges and other organizations presented post-graduation options to students. “We hold this fair every other year,” College and Career Center adviser Crystal Laguna said. “It is targeted to all students looking for different post-high school plans.”

The fair included representatives from community colleges, apprenticeship programs, and other schools such as the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.

One of the booths featured was the California Division of Apprenticeship Standards, which offers opportunities for students to “learn while they earn” in over 600 careers, according to apprenticeship consultant Patricia Guerrera.

“We have apprenticeship programs throughout the state of California: 75% in the trades, 25% in I.T., healthcare, advanced manufacturing,” Guerrera said. “It’s all free, so a person doesn’t incur a debt for the school that they’re going to while they’re participating in programs.”

Senior Ellinor Hjelm said the career fair is a good resource for students who do not want to attend a four-year college.

“I think it would be good if it [the career fair] were presented earlier on so that more people could get connected before they applied,” Hjelm said.

Hjelm said she learned about transferring to a four-year college through Foothill College’s Honors Program during the fair.

“‘[Foothill’s] Honors Program had a 74% acceptance rate to UCLA last year,” Hjelm said.

More information about the programs can be found here:

California National Guard

Cañada College

Foothill College

Sierra College

DeAnza College

California Division of Apprenticeship Standards

Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising