Thousands enjoy food, music, and performance at Stanford Night Market

...

Amy Lin, Editor-in-Chief

Thousands of people filled White Memorial Plaza on Saturday evening to enjoy the food, music, and dances at the annual Stanford Night Market.

The event is organized annually by the Taiwanese Cultural Society, a Stanford student group that organizes events celebrating  Taiwanese culture heritage at Stanford. The Stanford Night Market is the group’s biggest event of the year, and the only one open to the public. According to the event site, attendees number in the thousands annually.

“It [the event] was inspired by the Taiwanese night market,” said Sarina Wu, co-chair of the Taiwanese Cultural Society. “The Taiwanese Market is going to be very crowded, but also in the dark, with lights and stinky tofu.”

Student groups and vendors filled two rows of booths, selling traditional foods and desserts.  Children crowded around activities such as photo booths and boba-themed cup toss games.

The night featured three a cappella performances by the Stanford Talisman, Stanford O-Tone, and Stanford Harmonics. Student groups Mua Lac Hong, Stanford Chinese Dance, and Stanford XTRM graced the stage with traditional Vietnamese, traditional Chinese, and Korean pop dances. Stanford Wushu also displayed its members’ skill and physical prowess with individual and group demonstrations.

“I was really surprised by the turnout, but not in a bad way, because that means people are starting to love Asian culture,” said Palo Alto High School sophomore Michaela Seah.