Boys’ golf sets school record on senior night

As freshman Anthony Ha stepped up to putt for par, Palo Alto High School supporters and team members, as well as staff members of the Palo Alto Hills golf course, held their breath. After a deep inhale, Ha calmly looked at the hole, then drew his attention back to the ball, sinking the putt to round out a historic round for the Paly boy’s golf team.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Palo Alto High School boys’ golf team (10-2) defeated Monte Vista High School 178-207, posting the lowest score in Paly’s history.

Seniors Ahmed Ali and Sergi Mata, a medalist, both shot under par, with scores of two under and four under, respectively, on the Par 36 course.

“I got off to a fast start, making birdies on holes two, three, four,” Ali said. “I really hit my driver well and was getting the ball out pretty long off the tee. I was left with a lot of short irons which I struck well. There is some room for improvement on my long irons, but heading into CCS [Central Coast Section tournament], I feel good about my game.”

Underclassmen stepped up for the Vikings, with Ha and sophomores Bob Zhu and Akira Isayama sinking key putts on the ninth hole. Both Zhu and Isayama shot two over par, rounding out the top five scores.

Ali, a member of the varsity team for four years, said he was glad to have been a part of this special round.

“I had a lot of fun yesterday,” Ali said. “It was the first time in my high school career where a lot of my friends came out to watch us play, so it was nice to put on a show for them. Our team played extremely solid, one of the best high school team score for a match I’ve ever seen.”

The Vikings will play their next match in the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League’s tournament at noon Tuesday at the Santa Teresa Golf Club.