Recap: Juniors, sophomores claim victory at Thursday rally

Palo Alto High School sophomores and juniors are celebrating after success today in the lunchtime rally events.

As today was Generation Day, the seniors arrived with canes in hand and dressed as senior citizens, the juniors dressed as sophisticates in suits, the sophomores as teeny boppers, and finally the freshmen in oversized onesies as babies.

The rally featured two games, “Pool Ring Toss” and “Name That Tune.” In the first game, students attempted to land a pool ring over the head of their partners standing opposite of them without letting the rings touch their hands. In the second event, groups of four students from each grade attempted to guess songs playing on a loudspeaker and run ran their answers to the judges in the center of the football field.

Juniors trounced the seniors in the first round of the ring toss, while the sophomores defeated the freshmen. The seniors then narrowly beat the freshmen in the final round of the ring toss to place 3rd, while the juniors defeated the sophomores and placed 1st in a tight race.

Senior Fe Hmelar said she was disappointed with the outcome of the ring toss, but is confident that the seniors will come out on top in the end.

“People tried their best and we still had a lot of fun in the stands,” Hmelar said. “I am confident that we will make a comeback tomorrow.”

For the event “Name that Tune,” each grade energetically sent representatives running to the judges, the quick thinking juniors and sophomores came out on top.

Sophomore Zharit Brand says she hopes her grade can continue to perform well at rallies.

“I think we did pretty well today but we need to be a little louder for sure,” Brand said.

Senior Dalia van Zyll, who competed in Name That Tune, says that is was difficult for the seniors to return at full force after the Night Rally last night.

“There were no communication issues, but we were just not able to write down the songs quickly enough,” van Zyll said. “We knew all of the songs but one, we just couldn’t get it down.”

Van Zyll remains confident that the seniors will win Spirit Week overall, but highlights the importance of unity between all grades.

“We’re definitely going to come back from out our losses today,” van Zyll said. “I think Spirit Week is about unity and having a good time so even if we can’t win everything, I think in the end we’re all winners.”