Preview: Generation Day to pit young against old

The seniors, dressed as grandparents, cheer for their class. Tomorrow they will be wearing camouflage gear while the rest of the school sports Paly's colors, green and white.
Seniors show their “senior citizen” spirit during Generation Day. Photo: The Paly Voice.

The Spirit Week battle of classes will continue tomorrow, as Palo Alto High School students get their bibs, leather jackets, suits and ties and wheelchairs ready for Generation Day.

Old and wise or young and wild? For this day, each class’s theme relates to a different generation. The freshman theme is “Babies,” sophomores are “Teeny Boppers,” juniors will be “Sophisticates” and seniors will dress as “Senior Citizens.”

As of Wednesday afternoon, the seniors are in the lead followed by the juniors and sophomores. Despite a third place finish in tug of war, the freshman class remains in last place. However, it is still anyone’s game.

The two activities at the lunch rally tomorrow will be “Pool Rings” and “Name that Tune.”

In “Pool Rings” two members of each class, attempt to throw a pool ring around each others’ necks. The point only counts if the ring stays around their neck. The two partners switch off, throwing the ring back and forth.

Next will be “Name that Tune.” This competition requires four people from each grade to work together to name an unknown song played on the speakers. They will write down their guess and run it to the center of the football field to the judges. The class that shows the correct answer first wins a point.

Make sure to tag all of your Spirit Week social media posts with #palyspirit for a chance to be featured on The Paly Voice website.

View Comments (2)
Bradley Smith, Author